Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Creed~And No, Not Creed From "The Office"

Yesterday I received an e-newsletter from the current president of The Zeta Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi. (Southwestern University.) I am an Alpha Delta Pi and was an active member from January 1994 to May 1997. The newsletter informed me of what was happening in the chapter and prompted me to visit the new website. I was immediately excited to visit the site and hoped for a stroll down memory lane. (Just the night before I had a dream of my freshman dorm and revisiting it as an adult. In the dream I visited my old room and nothing had changed....down to the telephone! In the dream I cried tears of joy. I think it is a symbolic dream of re-birth....in many different capacities...a longing for my youth and also excited anticipation of re-visiting the campus for Homecoming in two weeks!) I digress....I clicked on everything that could possibly be "clicked" on. I had a great time remembering the Greek alphabet, the letter's various meanings, the symbols central to ADPi, etc. Then I clicked on our Creed. We each received this lovely document as a part of our membership. We each recited this Creed by heart. We each heard it as young women going through RUSH on the third night. (After the cheesecake and ice water!) I remember my little sister, "diamond," Ciara was assigned to me on the last night of RUSH. She asked me a simple question, "Why should I want to be an Alpha Delta Pi?" At the tender age of 19 I am sure I gave some ridiculous answer that probably had more to do with beer and boys than with friendship, womanhood, fellowship and leadership. (Sorry Ciara....you joined anyhow!) Some 15 years later this Creed is of infinitely MORE relevance to me now than it was then. I was really taken aback by the words of the Creed. I would like to share the words of the Creed on today's post. Rest assured, this Creed can be read by everyone, lived by everyone and exemplified by everyone. There is a popular quote in ADPi: "ADPi is not something you become, it is something you already are." Reading this Creed yesterday really made me flip that notion upside down. The woman described in this Creed is not someone I already "am" it is someone I strive daily to "become!"
I believe in Alpha Delta Pi. I believe that my sorority is more than a ritual or a symbol; that it is a way of life. I believe that the principles established by our founders in 1851 are enduring attributes exemplifying the highest ideals of Christian womanhood. I believe that our motto, "We live for each other," expresses the true spirit of fraternity; and that by living this motto my life will be enriched by true friendships and unselfish service to mankind. I believe that the privilege of membership in Alpha Delta Pi brings the responsibility to do my best in whatever I undertake, always remembering that leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance. I believe that I must strive to become a well-balanced person by following the dictates of the four points symbolized by our diamond-shaped badge; first, strengthening my own character and personality; second, watching my attitudes towards my fellow human beings; third, recognizing the value of high educational standards; and fourth, developing faith and loyalty. I believe that these four guide-posts, guided by the stars and friendly hands clasped in the Adelphian bonds of fellowship, will lead me to achieve a rich and useful life. - Caralee Strock Stannard

Ciara, I can tell you now, THESE reasons, THESE ideals, THESE notions that we still talk about all the time are the reasons you became and ADPi and are the reasons our friendship has endured these 15 years. You always hold me accountable to these standards. We are becoming "this" woman together...still! How privileged I am to have had you by my side this entire time.

I could not survive without 100 calorie sweet snacks! Admittedly, I do not have much in the way of a sweet tooth. However, every once in a while I want something sweet alongside a hot cup of coffee. I have found that a 100 calorie snack pack of chocolate cupcakes (with the cream filled center) and coffee cake cupcake snacks do the trick EVERY time! They are individually packaged so there is little temptation to indulge beyond the serving of three. In addition, they travel quite nicely. And best of all they are low in points! Very low! I don't know the names of any brands. I just recognize the boxes. You can find them with their better known, less friendly, more venomous cousins, Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Ding Dongs, etc! Happy snacking. (PS...This stuff comes in really handy during the ever so sweet holiday season officially kicking off this Saturday!)

Goodnight, friends. Happy Hump Day. I look forward to the end of this week and spending time with old friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment