Tuesday, January 11, 2011

X Marks the Spot

No one longs for what he or she already has, and yet the accumulated insight of those wise about the spiritual life suggests that the reason so many of us cannot see the red X that marks the spot is because we are standing on it.  The treasure we seek requires no lengthy expedition, no expansive equipment, no superior aptitude or special company.  All we lack is the willingness to imagine that we already have everything we need.  The only thing missing is our consent to be where we are.
-Barbara Taylor Brown from An Altar in the World

My eyes looked over that last sentence at least 20 times before I went to bed last night.  Allow your eyes to linger long over those words.  When is the last time you gave yourself consent to be where you are.  I have a friend who always encourages me to do this.  She challenges me to give myself permission to feel what is presently being "asked to be felt."  (You know who you are, dear friend!)
Lane: How'd you like it?
Rory: It's great.  I burned a copy for my mom.
Lane: You know, it is people like you who are destroying the music industry.
Rory: Oh, now!  Britney's gotta shoulder some of the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment