Saturday, May 23, 2009

Leavin' Town for the Weekend

Good morning! I woke up at 5:30 am. I felt so excited and so energized I hopped out of bed and got my day started. Now...it must be said this is HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY unusual for me. I love sleep more than anyone I know....especially on a lazy Saturday morning. However, I needed to be up early to pack for my weekend trip to Austin, complete some chores around the house and wait for my cousin Glen to arrive at 8am. He is my air conditioning saviour! As it turns out, last week my area had a power outage. That messed with my circuit board. (No clue what that means) and my a/c wasn't cooling....but the fan kept running, and running, and running. It finally occurred to me YESTERDAY my a/c had been on for about five days straight. I was frantic! But in his typical cool and collected fashion Glen assured me he would be over first thing in the morning and I wouldn't have to cancel my trip to Austin. Crisis averted! (And he doesn't even think my energy bill will suffer a terrible increase.)

So....I am packed and about to get into my car! I am so excited for my trip to Austin. I am visiting Ciara, Ryan and Ella. Today we are going boating on Lake Austin and tomorrow will be a swimming party at Ryan's mothers home. I will have plenty of pictures to post. (Yikes....bathing suit photos!)

In keeping with the last post, I have another poem I would like to share. The day Ciara graduated from college I framed this poem for her. It still hangs on a wall in her stairwell. I am always nostalgic when I pass by the poem and stop to read it every time...as if I don't have it memorized. I can't believe I first found it when I was 21 years old. 13 years later (much like the last post) it's meaning is much deeper and more relevant. I am sure I will read it when I am 70 and find a different interpretation shaped largely by more life experience. I will share it with you all...and again....boys READ THIS! Don't scroll down......

Finding Her Here
Jayne Relaford Brown

I am becoming the woman I’ve wanted, grey at the temples, soft body, delighted, cracked up by life with a laugh that’s known bitter, but, past it, got better, knows she’s a survivor-that whatever comes, she can outlast it. I am becoming a deep and weathered basket.

I am becoming the woman I’ve longed for, the motherly lover with arms strong and tender, the growing daughter who blushes surprises. I am becoming full moons and sunrises.

I find her becoming, this woman I’ve wanted, who knows she’ll encompass, who knows she’s sufficient, knows where she’s going and travels with passion. Who remembers she’s precious, but knows she’s not scarce-who knows she is plenty, plenty to share.


I am signing off. No photos, no graphics...just a quick entry. Enjoy the extra long weekend! Happy Memorial Day. Will be back on Monday with lots of fun photos and stories and maybe even a little film of Ella Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment