Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stu-Co-Fro-Yo Social

Today was another oddly misplaced weather day. The last few days have been splendid and out of character for a typical Texas May. I have had the windows and doors open for the last few evenings. I absolutely love the days and nights when I can invite the outdoors in and not suffocate myself! In fact, yesterday was so beautiful, I went for a 2 hour hike with my friend Karen. She led me all through Eisenhower park. I, stupidly, thought we were going to stay on the paved trails. Then I remembered who I was with! She knew all the trails. I was so NOT prepared...but appreciated the work out. Next time I will wear my hikin' scoots because I almost fell several times. I have an amazing track record of falling EVERY time I hike....it's like a "thing" with me. It was a very enjoyable hike and I highly suggest it sometime around mid-October!
My first daily celebration is.....I got my hair done! YAY! All those silvers were starting to shine through. I simply can NOT have that. (Yes, it's vain...I know already!) Thank you Michael and thank you Mom!
I received this through an e-mail from Jace' recently. It had been forwarded to me years ago and I remember being moved by it back then. So when it came back to me I re-read it....was equally as inspired...but understood a few more of the suggestions on a new and deeper level. I don't have all these things, I have not accomplished all these things, but I am gettin' pretty damn close! Thank God! Both times I received the e-mail this was attributed to Maya Angelou. I don't know the title of the poem. If anyone does please let me know. I would say, "This one is for the girls....boys scroll down." However, I think men might be well served in reading this. Find THIS woman and never let her go!
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...enough money within her control to move out and rent a place of her own, even if she never wants to or needs to...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...something perfect to wear if the employer, or date, of her dreams wants to see her in an hour...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...a youth she's content to leave behind....
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and...a black lace bra...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...one friend who always makes her laugh..and one who lets her cry...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal, that will make her guests feel honored...
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE...a feeling of control over her destiny...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...how to fall in love without losing herself...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...how to quit a job, break up with a lover, and confront a friend, without ruining the friendship...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...when to try harder...and WHEN TO WALK AWAY...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...that she can't change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...that her childhood may not have been perfect...but it's over...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...what she would and wouldn't do...for love or more...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW....how to live alone...even if she doesn't like it...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW.. .whom she can trust, whom she can't, and why she shouldn't take it personally...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...where to go...be it to her best friend's kitchen table..or a charming Inn in the woods....when her soul needs soothing...
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...what she can and can't accomplish in a day...a month... and a year...
Last Tuesday Jace' and her friend, Heather, invited me to open-mike night at The Cove. I had never heard of this local restaurant but Jace' raved about it. She and Heather had gone the week before to hear a local jazz musician. Jace' said the food was healthy, organic and delicious and that the restaurant was sandwiched between a coin operated laundromat and a car wash....all owned and operated by the same individual. I was intrigued and agreed to meet them there the following week. We arrived early and I decided upon falafel with a side of spinach salad. The food was fantastic and I absolutely loved the vibe. They support local musicians and have a very unique approach and philosophy to food and meal preparation. The indoor area was fantastic but there is also a huge outdoor area to enjoy drinks around mid-October (tee-hee).
The Cove believes that healthy eating results in healthy living. We serve grass fed beef ,bison, lamb and chicken.
Below are a few reasons why.
Better for the animals...eating (in the pasture) what nature intended
Better for the environment...harmony between the land & the animals
Better for farmers/ranchers...living & working in a healthy sustainable atmosphere
Better food...grassfed foods are lower in saturated fats & higher in essential nutrients
Better for you...nutritious grassfed foods support better overall health
Below is a photo of Jace' and I. Milagro and Steven met up with us later on in the evening...but they left early because young people usually have so many options! Why they were out with old ladies like us is beyond me!
This is Jace's friend, Heather, and I.....
And this is Heather taking an IQ test on Jace's iPhone and realizing she might fall into the range where Mike Tyson scored. (How anyone knows this is not for me to question...but I would imagine the objective is to score higher than Mike!)
I highly recommend this restaurant/car wash/laundromat! I look forward to spending many a summer evening here listening to live music, eating healthy food and drinking a healthy beer!
About two weeks ago Christine asked me to help chaperon the Student Council Field Trip to Ripley's Believe It or Not and Ripley's Wax Museum. At the wax museum we had the opportunity to take photographs of ourselves and have our heads super-imposed onto images that resemble magazine covers. Christine and Irene convinced me to pose for a photograph and they chose to have our heads "shopped" onto these Miss America-style figures. We laughed for hours. From left to right, Patty, Christine and Irene. Please enjoy at our expense....... (What woman can actually stand like this?)
Luke is asking Lorelai to "listen." She responds...
Lorelai: I don't hear anything.
Luke: Exactly!
Lorelai: Okay, Simon, Garfunkel.
Goodnight friends.....

1 comment: